Sunday, November 20, 2011

Second Families

Yesterday, Vivian's friend, Lydia, referred to us as her "second family."

This made me smile inside and out.  I frequently refer to Lydia as our "angel on Earth" as she has shown Vivian a special, easygoing, and understanding friendship.  As Vivian doesn't get to enjoy too much independence, Lydia often becomes one of the family when she's over...a role she fits into perfectly.

As Viv, Lydia and I played a game of Wii (mostly in an attempt to keep Vivian awake until we went to pick Julia up from ice skating), the phone rang.  Lydia answered it, and then handed it over to me with a giggle and a "I don't know who it is!"  It was my friend Kristen's mom, Charlene.

Shortly after a very, very nice conversation (all while playing Wii, mind you!) it occurred to me that the Stark family is MY second family.  My girls call my friend Kristen "Auntie Krissy" and I'm "Auntie Jenny" to her girls.  I love that.

As I look forward to Thanksgiving, I'm thrilled because we'll be joined by my friend Leigha and her family.  Another smile crosses my face because Leigha's three beautiful children know my parents as "Granny and Papa," an honor I know my parents are tickled to have.   

I am blessed by a very close and loving family...some of them I'm related to, and some of them I'm not.  And I think it's wonderful that it's not what we look like or what our last names are that bonds us, it's what's in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment