Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year

People all around the globe will be shouting "happy new year" to one another over the next few hours.  And each one of those people have their own definition of what "happy" is to them.

For me, my happiness is directly connected to my childen's happiness. I recently read "A Christmas Wedding" by James Patterson, and while the book was kind of disappointing, there was a memorable line in it that said something like "A mother is only as happy as her saddest child." 

Thankfully, my children are not sad all that often (moody perhaps, but not necessarily sad) but there are a lot of other negative emotions or circumstances that can replace the word "saddest" for our situation. 

For me, my "happy" new year would be a year in which Vivi's seizures and all of her other challenges disappear and a year in which Julia learns to be grateful for the blessings and gifts she has - and realizes that one of those blessings is her sister.

I guess that's shooting for the stars, but what better day to do it than when knocking on the door of the new year?

I wish you all the happiness - whatever that means to you - in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment